An employee’s onboarding experience sets the tone for their employment. A great experience can ease their transition, encourage engagement, promote high performance and support retention.
A successful onboarding experience informs employees about compliance, clarification, culture, and connection. It requires clear goals and measures, teamwork across the organisation and ongoing support.
Taking a tailored approach to onboarding is a key component of creating a good experience, as everyone’s situation, role and needs will be different.
You can create a positive onboarding experience by:
- considering what a good experience looks like in your agency
- understanding your responsibilities
- identifying who is responsible for each action (manager, HR, ICT) and communicating with them regularly
- personalising the employee experience by understanding their circumstances and connecting with them
- checking if the employee requires reasonable adjustments
- proactively asking for feedback throughout the onboarding process
- adhering to your agency’s policies.
Use these resources to help you at every stage of onboarding.