Pursuant to clause 38(2) of the Government Sector Employment Regulation 2014, the Public Service Commissioner has determined that allowances in respect of reasonable relocation expenses are payable to Public Service senior executives in the circumstances and amounts provided for by this NSW Government Sector Executive Relocation Expenses Framework.
Compliance with the determination is mandatory for all Public Service agencies.
Other government sector agencies and NSW public sector agencies (such as State owned corporations) are strongly encouraged to implement the Framework.
The Framework does not apply to award based employees.
Categorisation of executive roles by ‘tiers’
Executive roles (for the purpose of the Framework, the term role includes a position) have been categorised in this Framework as either Tier 1 or Tier 2 for the purposes of determining the applicable cap in relation to post hire relocation support (up to $65,000 for Tier 1 executives and up to $25,000 for Tier 2 executives).
The categorisation of an executive role as either Tier 1 or Tier 2 is primarily based upon the Public Service senior executive (PSSE) bands (four bands, including the Secretaries band).
Non-Public Service agency heads should adopt the same approach in relation to categorisation of executive roles in their agencies based upon the role’s remuneration i.e. a role should be determined as a Tier 1 role if its remuneration is within the range for a PSSE band 4 (Secretaries band) or band 3 or, if a specialist position, band 3 or 2. The remaining executive roles would be Tier 2.
The remuneration range for each PSSE band is determined annually by the Statutory and Other Offices Remuneration Tribunal (SOORT) and the latest determination can be found on the Tribunal’s website.
Tier 1 and Tier 2 categories of executive roles
The following table summarises which executive roles fall within the Tier 1 and Tier 2 categories and the applicable cap in relation to post hire relocation support.
||Type of roles
||Reimbursement of reasonable costs - no cap
||Contribution of costs to eligible expenses - cap
- Secretaries of Departments (band 4) or equivalent based on remuneration in non-Public Service agencies
- Heads of non-Public Service agencies (equivalent of a band 4 or band 3)
- Heads of executive agencies determined by the Secretary of a Department to be a Tier 1 role
- Roles and positions determined by the Secretary of a Department or head of a separate Public Service agency or the head of a non-Public Service agency as ‘specialist’ executive roles (band 3 and 2 or equivalent based on remuneration) within the Department, related executive agency, separate agency or non-Public Service agency
- Other roles determined by the Secretary of the Department of Premier and Cabinet to be Tier 1 roles regardless of their remuneration e.g. heads of statutory authorities specified by the Secretary
|On an acquittal basis – no cap
||Up to $65,000
||Other executives roles
||On an acquittal basis – no cap
||Up to $25,000