Identify actions to meet work and workforce requirements to achieve organisational goals and manage any associated risks.
Questions to support developing and implementing the plan:
- What needs to be done to achieve the desired future state and who will do what?
- What is the plan for bridging the gap between the current and future workforce in the next 3-5 years?
- Will current positions need to be recruited and what will change in future positions?
- How will a pipeline be developed to identify and recruit high performers?
- Has a strategy for recruiting a diverse group of candidates been developed?
- How will essential organisational knowledge and key personnel be retained within the workforce?
- How will the organisation ensure that all employees are receiving an opportunity to participate in career, professional and leadership development?
- What development opportunities exist and how will they be utilised?
- How will current employees be developed to achieve future requirements, succession and individual success?
- Who will be responsible for implementation of each part of the plan?
- Which senior leaders will champion/sponsor the plan?
Possible sources of evidence:
- Cost vs. benefit of workforce planning actions
- Scenario planning outputs from Core Requirement 2
- Gap projection outputs from Core Requirement 3
- Develop comprehensive options to close workforce gaps and evaluate options in order to select strategies that effectively address the gaps with the appropriate level of risk
- Strategies may include acquiring external talent, developing the existing workforce, leveraging contingent labour, reorganising teams or uplifting performance
- Identify how the plan will be integrated into other workforce management practice areas as part of planning implementation
- Agree on ownership for implementing action plan activities and resource the planned changes with executive support
- Take a coordinated approach to managing changes to the work environment and supporting existing employees to transition to the new arrangements
Strategic workforce planning
Strategic Workforce Planning Framework
The Strategic Workforce Planning cycle
Additional resources to inform strategic workforce planning and organisational change
Strategic workforce planning resources