Identify different work and workforce scenarios to deliver organisational goals and the estimated cost of each scenario.
Questions to support comparing options to achieve outcomes:
- How are current employees divided into useful workforce segments, and have groups for development, retention and mobility been identified?
- Are the required capabilities readily available within the organisation or the labour market?
- How well does the current workforce align/ support the organisational plan/strategy?
- What employment arrangement types are present within the current workforce (e.g. ongoing, temporary, casual, contingent, volunteers, contractors, interns, cadets, trainees etc.) and what is their contribution?
- How many employees are at each organisational level and location?
- What are the diversity statistics for each workforce segment, and are there opportunities to target the recruitment of diverse groups?
- How flexible is the workforce? Does the organisation make use of non-full-time appointments such as job sharing?
- What is the grade structure (distribution) and is it fit for purpose?
Possible sources of evidence:
- Relevant and validated internal data (e.g. recruitment data, organisational structure analysis)
- Relevant and validated external data (e.g. wider industry trend predictions, workforce supply and demand data)
- Compare different operational models to determine the best fit for delivering desired outcomes
- Analyse the composition of the existing workforce and benchmark across all labour types internally and with the external labour market
- Consider future ways of working, taking into account the impact of emerging technologies and the need for organisational and work redesign
- Determine the most cost-effective way forward
- Forecast the demand for workforce capacity and capability over the defined period
- Define the culture and conditions needed to effectively meet workforce requirements
- Complete scenario planning to identify plausible future events and their workforce size and cost implications
Strategic workforce planning
Strategic Workforce Planning Framework
The Strategic Workforce Planning cycle
Additional resources to inform strategic workforce planning and organisational change
Strategic workforce planning resources