To identify longer-term organisational priorities and goals, and assign responsibility for associated strategic workforce planning.
Questions to support alignment of organisational strategy with SWP priorities:
- How may the organisation’s work change in the future due to political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) factors?
- What are the key organisational business objectives for the next 2-5 years?
- What are the 3-4 large-scale challenges that may affect the achievement of these objectives?
- What are the implications of the organisational objectives for different parts of the organisation?
- What are the specific initiatives required to execute the organisational objectives?
- What is the time frame available to execute each of the initiatives?
- What are some of the strategic resources (e.g. talent capabilities, market understanding) the organisation has to support achievement of the initiatives?
Possible sources of evidence:
- The organisation’s strategic objectives and key business drivers
- Relevant and validated internal data (e.g. HR and finance reports)
- Relevant and validated external data (e.g. Workforce Profile reports, People Matter Employee Surveys)
- Stakeholder consultation
- Obtain a clear statement from the senior leadership team on the workforce themes that are relevant to the organisation’s strategic plan
- Determine the business units, programs, activities etc. that are critical to achieving the organisation’s strategic objectives
- Establish clear links between the organisation's needs, financial assets and workforce planning
- Establish clear timelines for workforce planning
- Encourage the organisation’s senior executives to sponsor a cross-functional team with clear roles and responsibilities who develop, implement and monitor strategic workforce planning
- Organise the workforce with consideration of its workforce requirements both now and in the future (e.g. how important a role is to organisational imperatives)
- Identify the capabilities required to achieve desired outcomes over the period
- Consider workforce diversity requirements
Strategic workforce planning
Strategic Workforce Planning Framework
The Strategic Workforce Planning cycle
Additional resources to inform strategic workforce planning and organisational change
Strategic workforce planning resources